- Reduce waste by avoiding items that generate it
- Re-usable bags for all shopping, not just groceries
- Purchase products with less packaging
- Buy in bulk section
- Dried fruit, nuts, other snacks
- Refill with your own containers at the store
- BYO reusable, washable produce bags (in cotton / linen mesh)
- Consider impact of waste before creating it
- What alternative options are there to producing new waste?
- Am I replacing something that can be repaired?
- Can the new item be repaired, if necessary? Reused? Recycled?
- Is it made from renewable or non-renewable resources?
- What is the longevity of the product?
- Energy and water use
- Turn off lights and faucets
- Switch to LED light bulbs
- Install a rain barrel to collect FREE water for the garden and potted plants
- Hang laundry outside to dry FREE during warmer months
- Food waste
- Install a garbage disposal
At The Office
- Reduce office paper by printing on both sides
- Make note pads
- Purchase 100% "post-consumer waste" paper for office supplies, paper towels, toilet paper, and napkins
- Use ceramic disware and silverware. Avoid plastic and paper
- Ceramic coffee cup / to-go mug
- Reusable water bottle
- Lunch containers (glass or stainless steel vs. styrofoam)
- Car, Ride, Bike Sharing
- Sell or rent clothing as part of a regular wardrobe or for special event
- Tools, mowers, snow blowers, shovels, etc.
- Co-working Space